Monday, October 3, 2011

Day 4- 7~ 30 Day (not-so) Vegan Challange

After looking through the last post, I realized that while I stayed true to vegan eating, I didn't eat enough whole foods. So, day 4 the emphasis changed from just vegan, but to whole foods as well. Plus, pictures of beans in various forms is a bit BLAH, so on to some color today! But...but, not so fast, had to have another muffin for breakfast. Why, you ask? Because honestly, never on earth would I have allowed myself to do that before. I am sort of doing it because I can. (I'm so mature, right?)  I also decided that  I don't want my blog to just be about beans and kale, so I think I am going to do an overview of what I ate with a few thumbnail pics if it's something stellar, but, then onto my real life. I am more than what I eat, you know! Your primary foods (as described by Institute of Integrative Nutrition) are not the things you put in your mouth, but your relationships, spirituality, career, and physical activity. We can't be well and whole, just by eating well. We have to find balance, which I am proud to say I've done a much better job of now than any other time in my recent history. So, with that, onto a quick secondary food overview for days 4 through 7.

Day 4- Vegan still :) (9/29)
Boring food, as I said started off with a muffin, had a leftover bean burger for lunch. Both, just as delicious as before. Dinner was spaghetti squash with broccoli, onion, mushrooms, carrots, ginger, and garlic in hoisin and chili sauce. This invention was the highlight of the day. YUM!!
*I must make a note however that the following took place between the hours of 5 PM and 6 PM while I was preparing said squash deliciousness: My son's friend didn't get picked up after football practice, so being the smart boy he is, he walked to my house, which is only about 2 blocks from the school. Upon coming into the house my son told him "Aaron, you can stay here, but you don't want to eat here!" This made me question how much of my challenge anyone but myself was enjoying!! (Damn kids! :))
Same Breakfast
Leftover Lunch
Squash Deliciousness


 For the record, I would have loved smaller photos all next to one another, still can't figure it out!!!

Day 5- Vegetarian... not vegan :(
I knew going into today I was going to take my son out to eat because of the comment from the previous day. I still decided I wouldn't eat meat, but it was cold out, and when we went for dinner, I didn't want a salad. cold day + salad = NO THANKS! So, here is day 5:

Breakfast
Lunch - Miso Sesame Tofu
I did not eat ALL of that tofu, either! That was the whole block. I've made this several times before, and it is always great, and one of the things the kids like, too. For dinner, I had a salad and spinach pie at Alpha Coney. The spinach pie has cheese in it, so therefore, I went off plan today. :(

Day 6- Vegan Challenge... Until 4th Meal!!
I have no pics of my food for today. I don't know why, I just don't. I was SO good, that when I took Grandma to breakfast this morning, I ate oatmeal...at a restaurant!!!!!  I was very proud, though. The bacon did look alright, but didn't taunt me the way I thought it would. Lunch was a vegetarian sub at Jimmy John's with a friend. Then, I waited way too long for dinner. STEAK Quesadilla at the Taco Bell drive-thru. DOH!! I know... stupid, but, it was really what I wanted. DAMN YOU 4th MEAL!!

Day 7 - um... omnivore.
There is a sorta long story here, that sorta goes back to the "lunch with Jimmy John's with a friend" part of yesterday. I didn't feel well. I stayed up too late, contemplating life and it's direction, and I had a BLAH sort of morning, which led to a Blah sort of afternoon. The good part is it included a lot of napping. That, was just what the doctor ordered. The Pizza Rolls, however, were not. This is where my emotional eating gets me into trouble. I knew the entire time, that I wasn't even enjoying them, and that it was throwing me off plan, but, I continued to do it anyway. And, I felt like garbage, because, your stomach IS NOT a garbage can, but I had treated mine as such. And, I know better.

So, there were lessons learned from week one. I lost 7 lbs, I know that I will probably go back to eating at least dairy after the 30 days is done, because it is VERY difficult to find something that fits this lifestyle in most restaurants, and I love being social. That doesn't mean I will eat it everyday, as a matter of fact, I may be a "weekday vegan" after all is said and done. We'll have to see. I'm not going to limit my life for this, but I want to extend it and make it healthier and happier, and I believe that can still be done through awareness and practical application.  Today (Day 8) I am going to do my best to stick with the program~ and I think the silly girl emotions I was having have passed, and that situation has worked itself out, but there will ALWAYS be bumps in the road, and I have to find a healthier way to deal. I'm on the right track. :)

No comments: